Search Engine Optimization (SEO) works like a Holy Grail, something that is commonly pursued by online entrepreneurs. While traffic alone cannot guarantee income, but it’s a first step before a sale. Now, the same tactic can be applied by freelancers, particularly when building their portfolio online. How do you do it? Let me walk you through the basic steps in SEO.
Find a Niche
Being a generalist is a hard game to play in the online world. First, general keywords are often already used by other popular and long-reigning websites. Second, it will be hard for you to target your audience well. And lastly, you will likely attract a general audience too, which may or may not convert into possible clients.
Before website building, keyword research should come first. It is a must that you buy a domain name that cannot just represent your industry but also will work for your search engine reputation. I recommend the use of Google Keyword Tool because it is free and it does the job well. Go for a long tail keyword and play with the terms. Find keyword suggestions with high amount of searches but with less competition.
Build a Website
Building your own website is now made easier with the coming of WordPress and Blogger. If you have some extra cash on hand, you might want to consider getting your personal domain name too. In building a portfolio, it is a must that you add these pages below:
- About Me- This is where you want to tackle everything about yourself. It won’t hurt to get a little personal here, crack some jokes if you may or talk about your favorite film because these can help build rapport to your audience. Be sure to limit the personal talking though because more than anything, you want to appear professional. Talk about your passion, your dreams, and ambitions. Discuss past works, your strengths, and your dream projects.
- Portfolio- This is a great place to discuss your past accomplishments. Give sample write-ups if you are a freelance writer, or links to the past websites that you created in case you are a web builder. If you are a Search Engine Optimization expert, then show off some proofs of your accomplishments. It also helps to ask for feedbacks from previous clients that you can display on your portfolio.
- Personal Photo- Since you are selling yourself to possible clients, you want your website to look real by displaying your recent personal photo. So brush up, wear your finest, and book a pictorial to a nearest studio.
When building the website, optimize it by using the keywords that you’ve previously researched. Avoid keyword stuffing though; it is important that the flow of words still looks natural despite your SEO efforts.
Other SEO Practices:
- Try blog commenting- Visit the website of other freelancers and give a sensible comment on one of their posts, do not forget to add the link of your site at the comment box so others can follow the link. Aside from this, linking is a great way to build your reputation online and it can work great wonders for your search engine ranking.
- Post among forums- Find forums that are related to your niche. Signup for an account. On the signature box, add the link of your site. When posting among forums, remember to act professional. Avoid bashing and adding negative views about certain topics.
- Join freelancer’s support group- Try searching for these groups on Facebook. By joining, not only will you be able to surround yourself with people that lift you higher towards becoming a full bloom freelancer but you also build traffic to your website. Encourage them to visit your page. Furthermore, support group is a great place to find available freelancer gigs through referrals.
- Try Social Medias- Facebook and Twitter are great place to advertise yourself. Create a page and be sure to like other pages too that are related to your niche. Comment on their pages and encourage a conversation. Add posts linking to your website too. Social Medias are among the most effective way to rocket your website into great search engine placement.
These are just some of the basic SEO efforts that you can do. Search Engine Optimization is a wide field, there are plenty of room to grow and try. But for now, the above tips will suffice any beginner’s effort to rank a site.